Tuesday, January 12, 2010

The Chad Went Down to Georgia

I know the Charlie Daniels Band already has one song about NASCAR ("The Intimidator"), but while I was bored a few days ago I figured there was room for another, so I reworked "The Devil Went Down to Georgia" to tell the tale not of Johnny and his fiddle, but of a NASCAR crew chief and an epic battle of good and evil. Well, I tried, anyway...here's the result (try not to laugh too hard, hehe):


The Devil went down to Georgia; he was looking for a soul to steal.
He was in a bind 'cause he was way behind, so he was willing to make a deal,
When he came across this young man crankin' on a stock car and runnin' it hot,
And the Devil jumped up on the team's war wagon and said, "Boy, let me tell you what,
"I bet you didn't know it, but I'm a race car driver too,
"And if you'd care to take a dare, I'll make a bet with you.
"Now you set up a pretty good race car, boy, but give the Devil his due.
"I'll bet a trophy of gold against your soul, 'cause I think I'm better than you."
The boy said, "Well, my name's Chad, and it might be a sin,
"But I'll take your bet, you're gonna regret, 'cause I'm the best that's ever been!"

Chad, call up your crew and work on tunin' that 48 car,
'Cause hell's broke loose in Georgia, and the Devil deals the cards,
And if you win you get this shiny trophy made of gold,
But if you lose, the Devil gets your soul.

The Devil climbed right in his car, and he said, "I'll start this show,"
And fire flew from his tailpipes as it roared to life on pit row.
Chad turned to Jimmie with a steely look and said, "Just do your best."
He didn't tell him that the stakes at Atlanta were higher than all the rest.

Now, the Devil was leading when Chad said, "Well, you're pretty good, ol' son,
"But sit back during this pit stop here, and let me show you how it's done!"

"Fire in the pit stalls, run, boys, run,
"Jimmie's coming in in 3-2-1,
"Take four tires and fill up the gas,
"Go down a round on the track bar, fast!"

The Devil bowed his head because he knew that he'd been beat;
Jimmie passed him off pit road and never let up on his 2-second lead,
And Chad said, "Devil, just come on back if you ever want to try again.
"I told you not once but FOUR DAMN TIMES, we're the best that's ever been!"

No comments:

Post a Comment