Wednesday, November 11, 2009

High Art in the Texas Garage

I thought this was a nice little write-up about the performance art that Chad and the crew put on for us on Sunday by transforming a mangled heap back into a raceable - and downright svelte - stock car.

Memo: Fixing as Cool as Crashing - Racin' Today

I agree - I thought it was just as fun to watch them go to work and keep their cool amid all the potential chaos as it was watching the race. I mean, I know these guys are fookin' great at what they do, and that's why they're champs, but when you see it in action, it just really hits you.

I don't agree with this part, though:
"And even auto-racing media and fans love to go way overboard and link pit stops with ballet or sideways saves with supernatural intervention. Hey, it's mere repetition and fear getting the job done and, sometimes, not."
Repetition and fear? Well, if by repetition you mean long, hard hours of practice supervised by a professional coach hired by the team, then yeah, I guess it is repetition. There's nothing "mere" about it, though. And fear? Well, I'm sure there's quite an adrenaline rush, no doubt, but you have to have your head on straight in order to execute those moves that smoothly. It may look like a frenzy to us, but just because they're moving fast doesn't mean they're not moving deliberately. As someone who has actually TAKEN ballet (and jazz and tap), I think the metaphor is spot-on. I guess I'm just generally way overboard...everything JJ does on the track and everything Chad and the crew does off the track never ceases to amaze me, and this is a shining example of that.

By the way, does anyone else wish they'd run the car with an all-black front for the rest of the season (or even into next season)? The author was talking about how menacing the car looked after it came back out, and I'm inclined to agree. Slap a Lowe's logo on the hood, and that is one bad mutha-shut-yo-mouth car!

No comments:

Post a Comment