Sunday, November 1, 2009

JJ Squeaks by at Dega

Jimmie took 6th place today, which I consider a miracle, after avoiding two wrecks at the end of the race. Just when I thought there was no way he could get back up to the front there at the end, all heck broke loose, and when the dust settled, there was Jimmie, all set to take home a top 10 finish. According to his post-race interview, I guess Jimmie, like me, wasn't so sure he could get back up there before the wrecks happened, but once again, Chad came through with a little reassurance, and sure enough, just like he said, things worked out in their favor.

 I'm so relieved that both Ryan Newman and Mark Martin are okay. Good lord Newman's wreck was scary. I wish most of the HMS and SHR cars could've gotten better finishes, but honestly, I'm just glad nobody was hurt. I have to say, that was NOT my idea of a good race. I'm pretty hard to tick off since usually I understand why NASCAR implements a rule even if I don't like it, but I do NOT understand what they thought they would accomplish with the new "no bump drafting in corners" rule. A) It made for a boring race up until the last 20 laps or so, and B) it didn't make the race any less hairy than usual because OF COURSE the drivers were going to do what they had to do to get up front, and just like we used to say in high school, they can't send everybody to detention ("detention" in this case being a pass-through penalty). So nice try, NASCAR, but no cigar. Not even a cigarette. I don't know what they're going to do about Talladega, but that wasn't the answer, if you ask me.

And way to go, Keselowski, for wrecking your future teammate (Kurt Busch). Man, I hate to say it, but you are setting yourself up for one heck of a year next year, and I don't mean the good kind.

Congrats to Jamie McMurray for winning the race - I hope this helps with his ride search for next year. It was nice to see him in Victory Lane for a change!

No comments:

Post a Comment