Sunday, October 25, 2009

Martinsville News

Jimmie took 2nd today at Martinsville behind Virginia native Denny Hamlin, which widened his points lead to 118 over Mark Martin. Okay, up until this race I've been unwilling to just hand over the championship trophy to the 48 guys. I've been saying that the season is not over, anybody could do anything in the upcoming races, it was closer than it ever has been up until Charlotte, etc. etc. Not because of any prejudice against the 48 team (obviously, or I wouldn't be here), but because I honestly didn't think it was a sure deal for them.

Now, however, I think I'm beginning to change my mind. I know we've got Talladega coming right up next week, but a 118 point lead? And 4th place is a whole race behind in points? I've got to say, whatever you think about the man himself, Jimmie's chances are looking reeeeal good right now. Before this race, I think it was a little premature to say that, but as of Martinsville, I think it's safe to say that Jimmie is in all likelihood going to take that 4th championship in a row.

Here's what Chad had to say about the race (from CBS Sports):

"You can win them all, for sure. But it's very difficult to do. For us to come home second, another top five, I'm really pleased." "We had a good car. We had a great car in practice and thought we had a car that was capable of winning the race and we did. We didn't get it just right at the end of the race." "There were points in that race where we were by far the fastest car. You just can't win them at all, as much I would like to beat the person that had to have said that."

------

A couple of articles from this week:

No comments:

Post a Comment